Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blinded by Lentils

In my continuing effort to eat healthy, whole, real foods, I got sucked in by a lentil cookie recipe. This one came from Alton Brown.

I didn’t have enough raisins or cherries, so I used a little of both. And I used brown sugar instead of my usual organic cane sugar.

Kind of an odd color, but I can live with that.

No matter what I do, some flour always manages to escape the mixer. I’ve tried the KitchenAid pouring sheild, but I found it an awkward space hog, so I got rid of it years ago.

The first batch didn’t flatten much.

So for the second and third batches I flattened them with a fork a little.

The verdict: They’re good! The lentils give them a different (not bad) texture, but you can’t actually taste them. The thing is, they might be healthier because of the lentils and whole wheat flour, but they’ve still got two cups of sugar in them and a stick and a half of butter. IF I make these again, I’ll try to sub out some of the butter for applesauce, and find a replacement for some of the sugar. I mean, really, how can you go wrong with that much butter and sugar, no matter how many cups of lentils are in something?

No comments:

Post a Comment