Saturday, June 5, 2010

Summer Cocktails

I'm a huge fan of basil, and last night I was introduced to the use of them in cocktails. I'm not a fan of sweet cocktails, and I love to find those that require three or fewer ingredients. During the winter months I tend to drink whisky (neat or with soda water), but in the summer months I gravitate toward gin and vodka. This fit the bill perfectly.





Feeling inspired, I decided at the grocery store today that strawberries might go well with basil.

I came home and Googled, and sure enough, found several recipes to choose from.







Delish.




Basil Gimlet
From Rye in San Francisco

Ingredients

5 basil leaves
1 medium lime
1/2 ounce Simple Syrup
2 1/2 ounces vodka or gin

Directions

  1. Place five basil leaves in a mixing glass. Squeeze the lime into the glass. Press down on the leaves with a muddler and twist 4 to 5 times.
  2. Fill glass three-quarters of the way with ice cubes. Add the simple syrup and vodka or gin.
  3. Give the glass a good shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Float a piece of the muddled basil on the top as a garnish.

Makes 1 drink.

Note: I didn't have simple syrup, but I didn't miss it either.

Strawberry-Basil Martini
from iFlipforFood
  • 3 fresh strawberries (and one slice of strawberry for garnish)
  • 3 fresh basil leaves
  • 1 ounce gin
  • 1 ounce vodka
  • 1/2 ounce simple syrup
  • 1/2 fresh lime juice

Combine the strawberries, basil leaves and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker and muddle.Next, you'll want to squeeze the lime juice in, add ice and pour in the vodka and gin. Shake the ingredients together and pour into a chilled martini glass garnished with the strawberry.

Note: I didn't have the recipe in front of me and just muddled a sliced lime with the strawberry. That tasted just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment