Saturday, September 19, 2009

Lemon Love


I do my best to send my friends baked goods for their birthdays. Sometimes the recipe hunting, ingredient gathering, baking, wrapping, and packaging doesn’t fit into my schedule and I just can’t do it, but most of the time I make it happen. Not always an easy task, because I’m kind of fanatic about mailing (via USPS Priority) in time for the cakes to arrive on my friends’ birthdays. That part is hard, because the USPS doesn’t always cooperate. This week I sent lemon cakes to Denver and to Yakima, Washington.

The recipe comes from Marcy Goldman’s The Best of Better Baking.com, probably in my top five most-used cookbooks. Through Marcy I discovered Boyajian pure citrus oils. Love them.


I also love my kitchen gadgets. The lemon zester in particular, because it makes delicate lemon ribbons.


I use the same two pans for my birthday cakes. I got them at Goodwill for just a couple bucks apiece, and they’ve probably gotten the most use of any of the pans I own. They remind me of enormous pieces of See’s candy, particularly when I bake chocolate cake in them and add chocolate sprinkles. They also fit perfectly in the 6x6x6 boxes I buy by the half dozen at Paper Zone, and they're the perfect size in that I can usually get two cakes from one recipe.

But I’m talking about lemon today…


...and I’m happy to report that my cakes of lemon love arrived in a timely fashion. Happy Birthday to Dustin and Judy. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment