Wednesday, August 7, 2013

WIP Wednesday

As a way to get more involved with my awesome Portland Modern Quilt Guild, I’m going to occasionally take part in WIP Wednesdays. I consider myself one of the slowest sewists ever, so there won’t be too many of these. When I have something to post, though, I’ll play along.

This week’s WIP is a scrappy bunting, or banner, or whatever you’d like to call it. My first experience with fabric bunting came when I volunteered to make some for a wedding. I wanted to make a LOT (I ended up with 14 eight-foot lengths), so to save time I just straight-stitched two triangles together – no hidden seams or anything like that. 





More recently I decided to spruce up my front/back entryways with some batik bunting. With the sun shining through them, they remind me of stained glass.

  
 Back to my WIP. I recently discovered the quilts of Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston, and I got lucky and got a firsthand look at one of them at this year's Sisters Quilt Show. I’m really drawn to all the bright colors mixed with black and white.
 

Quilt by Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston
 
 
Quilt by Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston
 

That was the inspiration behind the color theme of this project.



The contrast between the letters and the background just wasn’t there, though, so I started over.
 

 
 

Much better. It will spell the word “Celebrate” so that it can be used for more than just birthdays. (Plus I don’t know that my attention span could hold out long enough for all the letters in “Happy Birthday.”) I may use the black and white fabric I’ve been stashing on the back of each block, just to get it out of my system until I have time for a quilt.
 

 

2 comments: