Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dessert shouldn't be this easy.

Took Mollie on a short walk today on the way to the grocery store. Tons of warm, sweet berries in the field, along with my beloved Queen Anne’s Lace. I can’t get enough of this “weed” and think I might just have to frame a collection of them. My favorite from today…

Anyway, we had nothing in which to carry our berries, so we snagged a nice bag in the produce department.

And since I had my camera at the grocery store, I couldn’t resist pulling it out of my purse. Any guesses?

(There were more, but I wanted just enough for one night.)

So what to do with the berries? Despite the many suggestions from my Facebook friends, I went with a gallette from Savour Fare. (Though as usual, necessity required some modification.) From Wiki: Gallette is a general term used in French to designate various types of flat, round or freeform crusty cakes. I didn’t want to make a big production out of this little project, and I didn’t want to have to wait for chilled dough (so no pie), so this seemed perfect.

3 oz. cream cheese, 2 T butter. (I didn’t have 4 oz. cream cheese).

4 oz. flour, 1 oz. sugar.

Mix together, knead briefly, roll directly onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. This dough was WAY to dry to be rolling out, so I added a couple tablespoons of milk.

Pour 2 pints of berries on top of the rolled-out dough.

That was way too many, I thought, so I ended up removing a handful or two.

Fold edges toward the middle, then brush with 1/3 c. cream and ¼ c sugar. Once again, that seemed excessive. If I’d put 1/3 c. of cream (I used whole milk), I think it would have made a soupy mess. I brushed it all over the dough and sprinkled some into the berries. Same with the sugar. I sprinkled approximately 2 T, max, over the entire thing.

Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes.

Very similar to a pie, but sososo much easier. Too bad I don't have any ice cream.


2 comments:

  1. It is beautiful. I bet it was tasty too. I didn't know pie dough had to be chilled before using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they don't always, but I think for the best results it's good to have the butter/fat as cold as possible before baking.

    ReplyDelete