Monday, July 27, 2009

Sophisticated Sesame

In addition to this month's Baking Challenge, I ran across a recipe for Toasted Sesame Sugar Cookies, and had to try them. As a kid I hated sesame seeds for some reason, but now I love their nutty flavor. These cookies reminded me a bit of an Asian cookie I've had in the past. Oh, and the trick to toasting sesame seeds -- in a cast iron pan on the stove. This is the only way I'm able to do it, anyway. If I use a low-temp oven, I'm bound to forget about them. Until I smell them, and then it's usually too late.


This recipe is a keeper and will go in my new recipe box. For years I kept recipes -- on scraps of paper, printed from the internet, ripped from magazines -- in a single file folder. I had delusions of grandeur of creating a sort of scrap book for my recipes, with notes and photos. After doing nothing about that for another few years, I broke down and bought a recipe box that holds 4x6 index cards. Now my tried-and-true recipes go in this box. I still have to make titles for the category tabs, but it's a start.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE anything toasted sesame and sesame and those sugar cookies look amazingly delicious. Another cookie to add to my bookmarks :)

    ReplyDelete